The following is a draft version of the rules that will be posted at the trailheads:
Lehigh Portland Trail Rules
- Respect private property.
- No fishing or swimming is permitted in the quarry lake. Fishing is permitted in Elm Creek.
- Trails are for non-motorized use only; motor vehicles prohibited (except maintenance and emergency access). Motorcycles, ATVs, motorized bicycles, golf carts, and horses are prohibited; motorized wheelchairs and personal mobility devices are permitted, but are limited to the wide trails (not singletrack).
- Stay on trails and do not make short-cuts.
- Please do not build or modify trails without permission; trail alterations may be considered vandalism, and prosecuted appropriately
- Do not use muddy trails. Do not use the trails if they are wet enough to leave tracks.
- Leave no trace. Take your trash with you. No littering.
- Do not damage trees or plants. Do not remove plants or animals. Do not feed, provoke, or disturb wildlife.
- Beware of snakes, spiders, and insects such as ticks and mosquitos. Beware of poison ivy, poison oak, thorns, briars, and nettles.
- City of Iola leash laws and waste laws apply. Keep pets under control. Pick up after your pet.
- No firearms or hunting are permitted.
- No fireworks.
- No tobacco use.
- Do not move picnic tables or benches.
- Call 911 to report emergencies.
Safety and Etiquette On The Trails
- You are responsible for your own safety: Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Exercise good judgement and act in a responsible manner.
- Plan ahead, be prepared for emergencies.
- There are inherent risks of injury when using these trails.
- The man-made and natural trail features in this area can be dangerous and may change daily due to nature and use. Watch for hidden dangers as well as roots, rocks, logs, pot-holes, falling trees, branches, drop offs, cliffs, etc.
- Always inspect trails/features before using and assess against your skill level.
- Do not stop in the middle of a trail. Move quickly to the side to avoid collisions.
- Be friendly and courteous. Yield the right-of-way to other trail users. Slow down, announce your presence, and pass with care.
- Camping is allowed only at designated campsites.
- Build campfires only in pits, rings, or stoves at campsites, and attend at all times. Douse campfire with water to ensure fire is completely extinguished before leaving.
- Keep a clean camp. Take your garbage and trash with you when you leave.
- Do not damage living trees or plants.
- Do not move fire rings.